Monday, October 1, 2012

ThinkPad W510 with unknown device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4239


The new Lenovo website launched in the last month or so has been the brain of my working life. I visit that site like 10 times a day and since it has changed it has pretty much made my working life hell.

Today's challenge saw me build a ThinkPad W510 laptop with Win7 x64. All went well until I was left with one ? in device manager and it was the wireless adapter. System update didn't find drivers for it so I was left to visit the wonderful new site and pull the driver manually. This is run of the mill usually and wasn't bothered however after downloading and trying every wireless driver listed for a W510 I still had no joy.

Anyway I googled the device Instance ID of PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4239 (from device manager) and found the type of wireless adapter in this machine is the Intel Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN.
I went to Intel's support website and looked for the drivers - and the latest version listed is currently 14.1.1.0 which i downloaded and installed. Still no driver loaded after running setup.

I then saw in the small print that you needed to use a previous release 13.5.0.6 for win7 x64.



I downloaded this and it picked up my wireless adapter and installed fine!

I've achieved nothing today except this so thought it might help someone else.

But why doesn't system update pick it up nor do they list this driver on their site when i narrow my selection to ThinkPad W510.. because they are clowns I tell you

No comments:

Post a Comment